Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The end of the world as I know it

This is a picture of one of my mantels. My favorite one, in fact, because I have scattered along the top of it some of my found objects. The glass bottles were found in old trash heaps behind this house and our previous house, the exquisite bird's nest was resting on our lawn early one morning and the big shell I found in Bermuda. I'm not a big "finder" so these things represent something of a triumph for me. Of observation, recognizing beauty and holding on to some things that gives me joy.


However, I think I'm going to have to relinquish this mantel for the big  flat screen TV which will be connected to the cable that is coming tomorrow morning. Yes, gentle readers, the Buttners are getting a TV. And not only a TV, but cable to go with it.

But it's for a good cause! Wait for it.........World Cup 2010.

Now, I'm no Luddite, but there are technological advances that I don't want to intimately participate in. Cable TV belongs in hotel rooms and other vaca spots. I've always had a bit of pride that we are odd enough not to have TV and cable. Now, in one fell swoop my (perhaps misplaced) feelings of superiority have evaporated.

The truth is though, even if I wanted to (and yes, I'm excited about a few shows) I still don't have the time to watch it. Can I pay $29.95 a month for extra time to sit and watch Food Network? Does that come with the package? "300 channels and 2 extra hours a day" My house is already teetering on the edge of chaos without an additional time suck. However, apprehensions aside, it will be a trip to see how the arrival of ESPN et al. changes our life.

Since we have it, everyone is invited to our house to watch the World Cup - June 11-July 13. It's going to be a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment